I Love Monsters! Interview

Not gonna lie I love I Love Monsters!

Maybe you saw them on the Freecreditscore.com band search



Check out our exclusive interview with Micah the guitarist and vocalist for the band!

Q- How would you describe your band to someone who hasn't heard of you or
listened to your music?
A- I Love Monsters is made up of four friends from New York City who play a mix of indie pop and dance rock. Our live shows are intense! The goal is to make you dance and sing along.

Q- What makes you guys different from every other band out there?
A- Our singer Brett's voice is very unique...love it or hate it, his voice sets us apart. Kind of like a punk singer fronting a pop band that's influenced by British guitar groups. 
Our songs have memorable lyrics and big hooks. They get stuck in your head.
Q- What song of yours would you recommend to someone who hasn’t listened
to your music before?
A- I would start with "Heart/Beat," then "Spine," and finally "Practice With Your Heart." Those songs really showcase our range and our equal love of indie rock and pop.
Q-Who writes all the songs? Where do you get inspiration for the songs?
A- I write most of the lyrics. I'll usually start with a phrase or a melody and build the song structure around that. If I find myself humming the melody in my head while I'm on the subway or walking to work, then I know I'm on to something good. After that, I'll bring the idea into rehearsal and the guys will help turn it into an I Love Monsters song.
Q- What has been your biggest challenge so far as a band?
A- Being an indie band in New York City is very challenging. The NYC music scene is super competitive. I think the biggest challenge for us is continually finding new ways to get our name and our music out there. People have so many choices when it comes to music...so figuring out a way to end up on your iPod mix is one of our main goals.
Q-  How did you come up with the band name?
A- We were walking down 6th Avenue and noticed a little kid with his mom. He was picking his nose and loving it. We saw he was wearing a t-shirt that read "I love monsters." The name definitely has a nice ring to it...I think there's a lot of double meaning behind it too which sort of compliments our songs.
Q- What has been your favorite show to play and why?
A- The first time we played Mercury Lounge in New York City. Its definitely one of my favorite venues to see bands in town. Its sort of a stepping stone for NYC acts. You know you're accomplishing something if you're band is booked at Mercury.
 Q- How do you get pumped up for a show?
A- We usually eat Thai food or burritos! Also before every performance, we huddle up and say two words that get us pumped up. The words are different every show.
Q- What’s your favorite and least favorite thing about performing?
A- My favorite thing is the rush of adrenaline that comes right before, and during a show. My least favorite thing is how fast the set goes by. Our songs are pretty short and we usually only get 30-40 minutes to play depending on the venue. The minute its over, I want to play another set!
Q- Who is someone you would like to tour with?
A- We would love to tour with The Get Up Kids or Ra Ra Riot. Also Two Door Cinema Club would be amazing!
Q- Out of all the songs you've recorded/written which is your favorite?
A- Well I'm very proud of "Heart/Beat" and "Spine." But also "Satellites" and "Keep Me Guessing" really show off our recorded sound. As far as lyrically, "Practice With Your Heart" is by far my favorite.
Q- What do you hope I Love Monsters is doing/accomplishing in a year?
A- We are playing the 2010 CMJ Music Festival this year in New York which is really big for us. We want to continue writing new songs, play bigger shows, and hopefully go on tour in places outside of the Northeast. We want to grow our fan base. That's our main focus.
Q- Do you have any advice for someone who wants to pursue a career in music?
A- Make sure you have a good day job to offset the fact that its very hard to support yourself financially as a musician...at least in the beginning. Also make sure you're doing it because you love the music you are playing first and foremost. 
Q- What has been your weirdest experience with a fan?
A- This older guy was really rocking out to our show once...he was flailing around and just going nuts! People thought he was on something...but afterward he thanked us for the show. He definitely need it.
Q- Who first inspired you to go after your dreams of music?
A- My dad taught me how to play the guitar. He also introduced me to The Beatles which led me to start writing my own songs. I owe my dad a lot.
Q- What yearbook superlative would you vote each member of your band?
A- Ha! I like this question: 
Most capable of playing anything on guitar - Jeff
The nicest human being on the planet - Brett
Most likely to succeed in culinary school - Jon
Most organized - Micah

Q- What’s one quote or lyric that inspires you most?
A- "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" - Dan Wilson

Q- What’s something your fans don’t know about you?
A- We all love thai food. We could eat it every night of the week. 

Q- Any upcoming plans in the works for I Love Monsters we should know about?
A- Our new music video for "Keep Me Guessing" is coming soon! We're also going to be play a month long residency at the Ace Hotel in New York in November.
Q- Anything else you’d like to include about I Love Monsters?
A- You can download all of our music for free at: www.ilovemonstersmusic.com
You can also follow us on Twitter for more band updates: @i_love_monsters

Q- What’s your favorite flavor popsicle?
A- I'd have to say lime or orange.

Make sure to check them out. I love this video...it makes me miss summer.

Comments

  1. I love monsters is an interesting band. Thanks for an insight into who they are!
    xoxo, Lucy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts