A Special Night with Demi Lovato- An A Plus in Comebacks

By: Lauren Miller

Everyone loves a good comeback. There's just something about over coming obstacles and becoming "brand new" that just appeals to most Americans. In this case I am most Americans.

Since the begining I've been rooting for Demi. She honestly is one of the most talented, if not the most talented, females to come out of Disney. For once I wanted a true, natural talent to rise above the Disney stigma and show that there really is talent on Disney.

When she went into Rehab last year I was devestated if only for the fact that she was becoming the average Disney starlet. I had little hope for an actual comeback. I figured she was just a one hit wonder.

With her new tour and album I think Demi has broken that mold.

What I really like about Demi's comeback- and what I think will make it successful- is the fact that she is taking it slow. She dropped Sonny, she's not doing her Target clothing line, right now it's all about the music. And even there she's taking it pretty slow and small. For her tour she choose to only do a handful of dates in very small venues. But these shows still had the impact of a full on tour.

This tour I sprung for the Emerald VIP so I could attend Soundcheck. It was really cool seeing Demi in this personal, laid back setting. She was just walking around stage hugging fans, answering questions, she even let a fan sing with her on stage. So cool. Oh and did I mention the unicorn hat. So funny!

By the time it was show time I was so ready to see what Demi had come up with. During soundcheck the stage looked really plain, so I didn't really know what to expect. 

That was the cool part about her tour and stage set up. She did so much with so little! The costumes were literally the cutest things ever. My favorite were the disco ball motorcyle helmets her dancers wore towards the begining of the show. The simplicity and smallness was almost just what she needed- Demi needed to comeback and prove that she's still the super talented, great girl we knew and loved from the Disney Channel and the fact that she went to rehab shouldn't change our minds about her talent.

I also really appreciated the moment during "Skyscrapper" when the people in my section held up signs that said things like Stay Strong Demi and We Love You Demi. The extreme amount of support the fans showed her that night really showed how strong her bond is with her fans. And in return she offered feelings of love and support back to her fans who may be dealing with situations similar to what she was dealing with when she entered rehab.

This show just really showed me how important it is to have an artist like Demi in pop culture today. She serves as such an awesome role model for young (and older) girls. I'm really glad that she chooses to share her battles with the world because there are serious so many young people out there who are experiencing what she went through. By sharing and trying to help this just shows such an awesome level of maturity in Demi.

I can't wait to see Ms. Demi on tour again- hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Comments

Popular Posts