Who Says- Selena Gomez and the Scene

Recently I posted the link for Selena Gomez's new single "Who Says" on my facebook. I know that I have a myriad of different musical tastes on my Facebook. Usually I'm ok with accepting that, but someone commented something on the post that made my face cringe. Without even listening to the song or watching the video said person wrote "ew. Commercial music."

I certainly can respect a certain distaste for commercial music. There really are a good many of artists out there who shouldn't have made it, but did because they had a major record label backing them and on the other hand there are amazing artists who can't catch a break because they don't fit into the mold of commercial, pop music. But I don't know why someone would dislike a song, video, or artist just because they're commercial if they're good.

For those who haven't listened to Selena's song "Who Says" should know that it's about accepting yourself for who you are. The music video portrays Selena leaving a glamourous photo shoot and heading home to take off her make up, put on some laid back shorts and a t-shirt and hanging with her fans being a normal girl.

In a world where so many people, especially young girls, are obsessed with celebrities, fame, and looking like their favorite stars, it's really refreshing for this young star to take her make up off for this video and encourage her fans to be who they are.

That's one thing I always really like about Selena's choices for music, movies, etc. She's so aware of who her audience is and she makes smart decisions, not just marketing wise, but to be appropriate for her audience.

For everyone's viewing pleasure check out Selena's video for "Who Says" below. Like it, download it, share it!

Comments

Popular Posts