Can I Got To Monte Carlo, Please?

By: Lauren Miller

Lately I have this new thing it's called "buying movies with the intention to watch them, but school gets in the way so I actually watch them several weeks later." Short title, no?

I had been wanting to see Monte Carlo since it came out this summer. This being Selena Gomez's second big screen movie and I being a total lover for Selena this was high up on my must see list. No matter how much I love her I was very skeptical of this movie. Just one read through of the synopsis and this movie sounds like a cute knock off of the Lizzie McGuire movie. But I think one thing that is truely different and unique about this movie is the style in which it is put together.

I'm a huge fan of old time, romantic comedies. I love Breakfast at Tiffanys and Gigi era type movies. Monte Carlo  just has the same air as these movies. The movie was cute and tasteful and a joy to watch. Sure the plot isn't worthy of an Oscar, but for a chick flick it was such a joy to watch. The thing that I really loved about this movie was the incorporation of values and organizations that Selena supports in real life. The whole movie was about love, adventure, friendship and a little mischief, but in the end there were little lessons to be learned from the characters. Like taking chances and straying from plans, appreciating what you have not what you have not, and the importance of volunteering and helping those less fortunate. If any other movie had made such obvious use of lessons as a part of the movie I would have thought it was cheesy, but because of what I know about the actresses in the movie this little lesson plug is super appropriate.

Overall this move gets a B. Now, where's the sequel?

Comments

Popular Posts